Rental agreements are regulated by the law. You are required to refund a tenant’s security deposit once their lease agreement has been terminated. If they owe you money for rent or repairs, you are expected to inform them that you will be deducting the amount from their security deposit. This should be done through a letter sent to the tenant’s current or last known address.

    If you don’t have the tenant’s current address, send it to their last known address, which is your property. They might not receive it. However, you will have fulfilled your duty.

    In your letter, make sure to include the following:

    Security Deposit Deduction Letter - MS Word Template image